View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 01:45 PM

Question Mac Pro+ LE users: need your expertise!

Hi everyone, I posted this on gearslutz, and welcome any feedback here too:

So, long time PC user finally making the move to the fruit aisle!

As such, I'd like your recommendations based on my work environment. Most of my friends are Mac Pro + PT HD users, so I'm more interested in the LE experience.

The short question is which Mac Pro to buy?

The potential short answers are:

"My good man, I say get the latest and greatest Nehalem Processor, 8-core, even if you can only afford the 2.26. Yes, it's very expensive, but it'll future proof you and it truly is the most comprehensive mac you can get for your current setup...."

or...

"Sir, I say get a used 8-core mac pro with the older xeon processor (harpertown) because the Nehalem's are only a (fill in the blank) improvement and young man, you'll be saving so much money it's ridiculous. Yes, I know you use PT LE, but you must trust my words: the harpertown processor is fantastic. Just careful of those godforsaken Craiglist scammers!!"

The background:
I use PT LE, along with Reason 4, BFD for my drums, Duende and (currently) 2 UAD-1 cards. I realize those are going to have to go, so I'll be picking up a UAD-2 duo, most likely.
I will also use 3 separate drives (system / audio / samples+bfd).

I've been getting a fair amount of conflicting advise why to go either way. So hopefully this can drill down specific to my needs.

Thanks so much everyone!
Chance