View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 11:33 AM

Default Re: "magic ID does not match" - What's up with that?

Simply not true. I deleted all my fades. On launching, the session opened, telling me the fades were missing. I would tell it to redraw them all. And every time, it would start drawing them, and hang on a specific, single fade. Every time. And the session would basically lock up.

The tracks were 'open', I could see my session, but PT would simply stop working when it got to trying that fade. It's ridiculous.

Not to mention the times when ProTools has started referring to fades as 'audio' files and corrupted them beyond repair, or the times when ProTools would let me write 'reversing in time automation breakpoints' that would take down the entire session, or....

And no offense, but you haven't addressed my other point, which is namely that ProTools has ZERO robustness in terms with dealing with errors. It offers no assistance other than a cryptic and usually useless error message. You haven't addressed my point that in the case of this user, one single file, is enough to render his entire session useless. It offers up a useless error message, and refuses to go any further. And that is just kinda pathetic. When I have sessions that might reference a thousand audio files, and several thousand fades, that a single one of the getting corrupted somehow (and I stand by my statement that it's got to be ProTools itself that's messing up the file) and that can take down my entire session, that's just ridiculous.

Avid really needs to start thinking about this.

I mean, if say the audio file in question lost one sample, and has a nasty snat in it from missing information, so what? Why isn't ProTools loading it anyway, flagging it, and letting the USER proceed? I mean, maybe the error in the file would occur in complete silence, and the user would have been able to draw out the error, or duplicate the file to make a new file.

Why can't ProTools offer ANY assistance in this case. This is my question, and you haven't addressed it at all.