View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 06:45 PM

Default Re: please help - vista compatabillity with mbox 2 mini

If you've never done any computer recording, and/or if you're not technically savvy with the computer, then Pro Tools might not be the right choice for you. There are many things to consider when purchasing Pro Tools, and computer compatibility and requirements are very high on the list. If you already have a computer, and it isn't compatible, your experience with Pro Tools will be an extremely frustrating (and potentially expensive) one.

With that said, no computer recording software is without a bit of a learning curve, and the "plug-and-go" "ASAP" requirement is probably a bit un-realistic.

Reason by Propellerhead is definitely not what you are looking for. Though you can get audio into it, it's not an audio recording program at all. It's a MIDI sequencer and sound module (actually, multiple sound modules).

Cakewalk is known for being able to run on just about anything, so it may be a better choice for you. You will also need an audio interface if you go that route, but you can find several "package deals" at any audio retailer.

Likewise, many audio interfaces come with other audio software already (cubase, mackie tracktion, etc).

The decision is all really up to you. Keep in mind that by posting in a Pro Tools user's forum, you are probably going to get more support and recommendations to purchase Pro Tools. If you are willing to spend the time researching before your purchase (which sounds like you are in the very early stages of), make sure you have the correct compatible computer and other required parts, spend the time configuring the computer to run Pro Tools correctly, and spend the time to learn what you are doing, then I would definitely recommend Pro Tools and the MBox mini will get you started nicely.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12