View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Comming ProTools for SnowL in 64 Bit?

32bit kernel can run 64bit apps just fine, it's not that only 64bit kernel suddenly opens the possibility of running 64bit apps. We have had that possibility for ages!

Sure, it's confusing for most people. But it was just as confusing in 16/32 bit transition. Here's a brief history of OSX and its bitness:

10.4: 64 bit CLI apps (POSIX and math libraries)
10.5: 64 bit GUI apps, no restrictions
10.6: 64 bit kernel

What this means we've been able to run 64 bit command line tools since Tiger, and we got unrestricted 64 bit apps with Leopard. Sadly, there were not many of them.

And now we finally got 64 bit kernel with Snow Leopard, which only means that kernel is not restricted to 4GB memory and 32 bit registers (which is huge improvement on Intel machines, on par with PPC now).

It also means that *ALL* kernel extensions (drivers) will have to be 64 bit if you run that 64 bit kernel. If you have even one 32 bit kext, you won't be able to run 64 bit kernel. This is why Apple have defaulted to 32 bit kernel. Otherwise it would not be a problem, but there's plenty of work in progress regarding kexts; even Apple still does not have a 64 bit iPhone driver available!! I can imagine 3rd parties have their hands full of driver development right now.

So...

This newly pre-released 8.0.3 is "Snow Leopard compatible" but it's still the same 32 bit app we've become used to. I think it will be more than a point release when Digi has the 64 bit Protools ready. I'm betting it will be called PT9, because that is a major new feature. (OSX --> PT6, multi-core --> PT7, GUI refresh --> PT8 and it would suit perfectly if 64 bits would mean PT9).