View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools First 18.7.0.201 doesn't start

Bull. There are many posts on DUC that describe symptoms of Pro Tools/Pro Tools First (don't' just look for First) "silently" not launching. And you should have already just tried the basic troubleshooting you were pointed to. And lots of discussion on 2i2 issues... which should have motivated to be sure to get that out of any testing.

I'm not sure I believe there was nothing logged anywhere. Where exactly did you look? macOS logs (Console.app), system.log etc.??? Specifically is there anything in system.log, Library/Log/Avid and ~Library/Log/Avid . (dlog files are only of use to Avid, but show stuff is being logged).

---

Specific basic troubleshooting things to try:

Hold down the 'N' key while Pro Tools First is starting and keep it held down until you see the playback engine dialog appear and then select "Built in Output" (just as a test).

Trash prefs. See "help us help you" top of each DUC web page.

Create a new macOS admin account and try running PTF from there.

If that does not fix it uninstall and reinstall the app and repeat the above.

If that does not fix it your macOS install is likely at fault, especially if you have been doing in-situ OS upgrades. install a full clean macOS image on a spare drive or partition and do a minimal install with just Pro Tools First and ILM. If that works install other stuff and then clone that over your current boot drive, making archive/backups of course. Do not use the system migration assistant (aks assasin) to migrate apps or drivers. User accounts if you really have to.

----

Was a previous version of Pro Tools (any version) installed or ever installed? Did it work?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-14-2018 at 01:59 PM.