View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 09:14 AM

Default Re: High tone on my monitors

I had the same (high-frequency) noise, if i started any application which uses the core-audio-driver or i started protools, and it made me crazy, too. I also didnīt hear it in my headphones, because my headphones are not connected to a power socket and/or ground. It is a ground loop problem. It disappeared completely after connecting the mbox2 with symmetric (2x 1/4" jack TRS <-> TRS 1/4" jack) cables to my monitors. After that, connecting other stuff like synths or mics to the line inputs of mbox 2 also didnīt produce the noise, except of one synth. I still have one combination of devices, which causes the problem.

You have to check your complete setup. Disconnect every cable, which is not nessesary for testing, from your mbox/computer/monitors. Try to find out, if there is any connection, which causes the problem.

Try to use only symmetric cables, where it is ever possible!! Try to turn off all other electric devices in your room. Try to turnaround (180 degrees) all power plugs (one after one) of your equipment in all power sockets. Try shorter cables, other cables, ohter ways for the cables. Try different usb-ports.

Check out websites, which contain informations about ground loops and hum.