View Single Post
Old 03-24-2021, 12:14 PM

Default Should I install 32gb RAM on mac mini?

I just picked up 2 16gb sticks of 2666mHz DDR4 for my Mac Mini. I ordered them late one night without thinking too much. Now I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I have 16gb now and it seems to be quite enough for my use. I typically have a pretty light PT session open with very little use of VIs/samples, a pretty large Lightroom catalog, along with Firefox browser, Music, TV and a lot of smaller programs. Activity monitor stays in the green and seldom shows more than a gb or so swap. Often 0 swap. I have a couple of GB disk cache in PT. Lightroom uses the most memory, like around three GBs.

I like to keep the mac running 24/7, and have applications running.

I would, of course have liked to be able to upgrade processor and flash disk, but they do the job, and I'll be waiting for more apple silicon options before I get a new mac in the coming years.

I paid around 200 usd for the 32gbs, I would get perhaps 60-70 for the used 16gb. So 135 bucks for going from 16 to 32, and I'm not shure it would make a difference at all. And I mean you don't use RAM disks anymore, makes little sense, no?

Now, when I went from 8 to 16, it was a big difference. Overall performance was much better.

What do you think? I could return the sticks and get my 200 bucks back. There is also the small risk of something going wrong in the operation, although the change from 8 to 16 was pretty trouble-free.

What would you do?