View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Questions about PT mpowered 7.4cs8 - vs. (other)

I can honestly say that I love the workflow and tools in Vegas, and I also love the workflow and tools in Pro Tools. I wouldn't change either. For video stuff, I find Vegas blows everything else away I've ever used, including Premiere, Avid Liquid, and Final Cut. And I feel the same way about Pro Tools for audio. With both programs, I instantly felt "at home" and that everything was very intuitive, even if they work differently when comparing them side by side.

I like the multiple tools in Pro Tools. I've never found them cumbersome. It's like anything else I guess. You get used to something, it becomes second nature, and you no longer thing about it.

I forget the shortcuts for changing the tools offhand, but it's the Fkeys on the top of the keyboard. I used to have a little cutout that I taped above the keys with pictures of the tools on them, to switch them that way, but I eventually found that going up to click on whatever tool I wanted was the best for me. The SuperTool (combining the middle three) is also very handy too. Though surprisingly, I prefer to switch them as I need them. I don't like my cursor changing jobs depending on where my mouse is. Makes me nervous. lol.

I agree with you regarding audio restoration. If I had some stereo files that I needed to clean up, I'd definitely use Sound Forge instead. Mostly because I don't have any "cleanup" plugins for Pro Tools. But like you said, you can just clean 'em up, save the .wav and import it into Pro Tools.

If Vegas would someday integrate MIDI and become a more full on, multitrack audio app (funny, because it started out as that!), I'd definitely considering sessioning a bit in Vegas. I haven't used it much lately, as I haven't had any video projects lately.

I'm happy to reply to these posts. I don't know how many people here use Vegas in addition to Pro Tools, so I figured I could give you some good constrasting answers, especially seeing as I'm unbiased and I like both pieces of software very much.

So feel free to keep asking stuff. :)