Thread: Dub Logs
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Dub Logs

Quote:
Sorry, I have to ask this...why can't you watch the regions go by on the screen instead of killing so many trees?

Just don't get the cue sheet thing. Actually looking for a serious answer.
There's nothing I hate more than finishing a session, sometimes at 4:am for a 9:am dub, and then having to write out dub logs. And music is cake compared to sound, so I feel for the sound guys who still do this by hand.
It's only been the last couple of years I noticed that on any proTools stage, my dubbing logs lay where I left them on day one, untouched for the length of the dub. What's the emoticon for yipee??
I can imagine that they would still be useful for big mixes where there's not enough screen space to view all the tracks or on stages where protools isn't available or easily viewable by the mixer. I suppose they could also be considered a back up, like if questions arise and the editor has left the building. Everybody makes mistakes; mixers can miss tracks (not you guys) and editors can accidently mute or unmute a region that's not supposed to be, or put on the wrong track (not me), so I can see a legit arguement for using them. I just hope no one makes it

BTW, I just did my first show where I didn't even consider doing dubbing logs, because I remembered that the mixer for the show said on this board "why use dubbing logs."