View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack control window?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgt621 View Post
I guess if you use the 11R by itself, then there's no computer? Well than there's just the display, and all info is shown on the display screen.

But as far as running the 11R control window w/o PT, this is still not yet possible, or should i say "allowed".

What IS possible though, is running PT and the 11R Control Window w/o a session open. This actually takes very little resources, and really won't interfere with much of anything. (Depending on your comp I guess)

The drawback is if you are still on PT8 LE, PT will hijack the 11R as the interface, making it unusable as an interface in another DAW at the same time. But, if you have PT9, (theoretically, I haven't tried this) you can switch the PT's playback engine to any other interface, or even the internal speakers of a laptop, which would leave the 11R open for use with another DAW.

I base this on my use of the 11R connected through SPDIF to a RME Fireface 800 via the three cable method. When I run PT9, I have the playback engine set to the Fireface via firewire, but because the 11R is still hooked up through USB, I still have access to the control window.

EDIT: Actually, I just tried it with PT 9.0.1, and Ableton Live 8.2.1. It works.
Wow that was a much better reply than mine. Thanks for the 9.0 interface tip.

I think one reason for a pure stand-alone interface is to avoid iLok hassles with 9.0. I'd like stand alone control software that is entirely license restriction free -- just install it anywhere you want to control an Eleven Rack from.

It would be nice to have that work in a demo mode without the Eleven Rack so potential purchasers can play with it and see what it can do. Fractal's Axe-Edit can be used like this for example. I'm not sure how feasible that is with the ElevenRack. (yes I know I should post this as a comment on Ideascale...)

Darryl