View Single Post
Old 07-05-2021, 08:33 PM

Default Help! ProTools 5.1.3 on MacOS 9

So, I've got a buddy who has been running ProTools 5.1.3 on a MacOS 9 G4 since that was a current system. He has a large psychological investment in that system, and also a lot of irreplaceable sessions saved in that format.

I've given him a little bit of help over the last couple of years, trying to make sure he's at least getting his data saved onto multiple disks and helping to make sure he's got a clone of his boot drive. I've also set him up with a newer Mac OS X system with Reaper on it and have done a little bit of work to help move him in that direction (or to any newer platform, really). But he has a whole bunch of music he's trying to finish up on the old PT 5 system before he feels ready to move to a newer system.

Tragedy struck last week. I'm not a PT 5 or a Mac OS 9 expert, but I suspect he may have a bad mix card, or something may have otherwise gone wrong with the hardware. Every time he tries to boot the operating system it pops up a dialog that says 'Sorry, a system error occurred. "DigiSystem INIT" bus error To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key'. And without extensions nothing seems to be working.

He also sent me screenshots of a couple of other errors that happened... "DAE error -6012 was encountered." "DAE error -7207 occured on DSP #3 MIX Card #1 ".

Unfortunately he's one of those dudes who probably deserved more success out of his musical endeavors then he was able to achieve... and he doesn't have a lot of money to spend trying to patch this system back up. This system kind of represents the bulk of his musical life, and he's kind of hurting.

Are there any folks out there who are familiar with these old ProTools systems on Mac OS 9 that might be able to help?

Ideally we'd really like to get his old rig back up and running. If that's not possible, does anyone know anything about what options are available for migrating old PT 5 sessions to a newer version of ProTools?

Genuinely hoping someone out there can either help directly, or might be able to point me towards other leads for advice.

Thank you in advance!