View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 01:22 PM

Default Will iMac 2017 with i7 core be good enough to run huge native mix sessions?

Hello Forum,
Hope you are all good out there....and thank you in advance for any and all advice offered.
I am a long time professional Pro Tools user. I bought my first system to record guitar bands with back in 2000.....and the system I've been using, purely to mix at home, I've had for almost 10 years now: I'm still running Pro Tools 8!
Anyway....it's time to put this system finally to bed. It's served me very well, but because of my Mac Pro's ancient age, I can't upgrade or maintain anything anymore....
So....I'm thinking I could maybe make my life easy and get latest Pro Tools 12....run native only.....for mixing only. Possibly in the future if I need inputs to record, I could get a thunderbolt interface etc....but recording anything at home is not something I want to ever do.....
So....here's my question: the latest iMac....2017....27"....4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz.......full of RAM and a big SSD drive.....
Would this iMac be adequate (ideally, MORE than adequate) to run easily, large mix sessions?
On my old (current) system, I'm always maxing out 160 tracks in mix with many many plug ins etc......
If this iMac option won't be adequate, what are my options? Wait for iMac Pro in December? Or?......
Again....thank you in advance for any help.