View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 07:55 AM

Default Re: legacy PACE License Support crashes Windows 10, couldn't install Pro Tools 11 (RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rish View Post
So most of the Plugins that come with ProTools 10 are not working and need the legacy drivers to operate. These are basically the AIR suite of plugins, ranging from the EQ's, to the Instruments (Xpand!, Boom, Vacuum etc.)

Those are some really expensive plugins, and I can't really afford to buy the updated ones on their own. Let me also mention that I have the perpetual license for ProTools 10 and all it's included plugins.

The reason I know I need the TPkd.sys file is because there is an Initialization error for every single plugin that needs it (which is a lot). The errors state:
"User privileges insufficient to start a low level driver" (when I don't run PT as an Administrator)

and when I do run it as Administrator:

"This software requires installation of the Interlock(R) device drivers..." or
"This software requires installation of device driver TPkd and a reboot before running...".

The Read Me file that resides in the "Old Installers" folder of the iLok License Support explicitly says that if I come across these errors, I need to install the legacy drivers for iLok.

Once I've installed the legacy drivers, it asks me to restart my computer, which I then do.

My computer then fails to boot up and gives me a blue screen. At the bottom of the blue screen, I see the message "What failed: Tpkd.sys".

It then 'attempts' to restart the PC itself, but to no avail, which then leads me to try restart it until I get the boot recovery menu, where I System Restore to the point before I installed the Legacy Drivers. And then I'd try again.

I've tried installing the legacy drivers, then immediately deleting the Tpkd.sys file afterwards, then restarting... which worked (in terms of getting my computer to boot up successfully), but then ProTools still can't retrieve those licenses from the iLok because it is looking for a Tpkd.sys file...

It's a catch 22 and I don't know how to solve this.
Oh wow, thank you for elaborating. That's different than the errors I experienced - Pro Tools 11 never asked for TPkd.sys to be installed. I'm thinking this could be a by-product of Pro Tools 10's old 32-bit infrastructure. It was the last 32-bit version of Pro Tools, which is coded and built fundamentally differently than 64-bit applications. This might explain why it might require this older 32-bit TPkd.sys software to run it properly. But, as we figured out, the latest versions of Windows 10 cannot handle this old incompatible software.

I don't think buying updated plugins would solve this because Pro Tools 10 is fundamentally a 32-bit application and you'd run into the same issues.

I'm really sorry to say, but it looks like there may not be a way around this one. Pro Tools 10 may actually not be compatible with the newest versions of Windows 10. I lucked out because Pro Tools 11 is fully 64-bit and doesn't actually require these legacy Interlock drivers, but still tries to force an install for some reason. Perhaps only Pro Tools 12 and up are officially compatible with Windows 10 because Avid got rid of the need to install these legacy drivers, among other reasons.

I wish Avid would offer a simple way to upgrade from 10 to 11, or 11 to 12, but I checked their website and they only seem to offer the latest version at full price. That puts people like us in an annoying position.

Not sure if this information will help you, but this talks about plugin compatability: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ility/en343311

Hope this helps and let me know what you end up doing.
Pro Tools 2021.7
UAD Apollo Solo USB