View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Importing audio files for remix - convert or set session to match source audio?

That story was put out as PR. The real reason 44x16 was chosen is because it was the highest sample rate and bit depth that could be encoded as a video signal in order to facilitate editing with VTRs rather than mainframe computers. The playing length was determined by the length of a Sony UMatic video tape cartridge. The disk is really a miniature Philips video disk that was designed to be pressed in existing vinyl plants.

The pioneers of digital audio found after extensive research that 50 kHz. and 21 bits is the minimum level of quality that can be considered transparent and the optimum would be around 60 kHz. Lower sample rates involve magical infinite filters that don't exist in real world designs.

My experience has been that the damage is already done in the original recording so up-sampling is just adding unnecessary degradation. If I'm starting a recording, I work at 48 or 96 depending on the complexity. If I'm importing audio, I just add 16 bit files to the session but I set the session to 24 bits for recording and 32 float for audio suite signal processing.