View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 AM

Talking ProTools Noob - MacBook Pro performance advice...

Hello guys,

This is my first post here.
I currently have a:
MacBook Pro 13" (mid-2009) running a 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB/7200rpm, nVidia 9400 video adapter, Snow Leo 10.6.8 v1.1 (cause I've seen that Lions belong in Narnia for now )

I've just sold my M-Audio Profire 2626 interface to get into this ProTools world.
I'm planning on getting a new Avid Mbox Pro with ProTools 9 crossgrade from 8 LE and I was curious if this Mac of mine - will it be able to take the load of PT 9?
I've tried a cracked version of PT9HD, but it didn't work that well... I currently own Logic Pro 9 and it works flawlessly so, naturally, I was amazed that after doing all the tips on optimization I couldn't manage to get it to run decently (i've tried recording 1-2 tracks and mixing 8 tracks).
I got that crazy CPU error with both my profire and my internal card when trying to Bounce the mix. Every buffer was maxed out, ADC as well, the works. I want to believe that this was because of the cracked version of PT9HD.

Could you please tell me if you think I'll be able to run PT 9 decently on this laptop, or should I settle for the bundled 8 LE and ditch the crossgrade ?
I don't have the $$$$ (I live in Romania...) for a better MacBook and an iMac or Mac Pro is out of the question due to size/lack of portability.

Thanks a lot for your help guys !