View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Sad about loss of Pro Control in PT11

I am also very sad and angry about this.

So I buy a car 15 years ago for $20k. It doesn't look as nice now. It requires more repair, and it doesn't have the latest technology or comforts. But I still can drive it.

I feel like Avid just took my keys and threw them away.

The ProControl faders are still the best I've ever touched. The scribble scripts are bright, have enough characters and are easy to read. The rear of the unit is low enough that it doesn't interfere with my monitoring. I don't need 24 faders, or the mic press of the C24. The D-Command is almost 10 years old. There isn't something that works as well for me as the PC. I don't even need monitoring - I just need great amazing faders, a nice transport, some metering, and a nice footprint that can serve as a center for my studio.

AVID - I have an idea. Why don't you give away or sell the legacy code to the ProControl to a third party company. They can write new 64 bit drivers, and sell the upgrade to customers. I'd be happy to pony up as much as $500 to get new drivers. Then Avid doesn't have to support it or divert their resources and cash to write new code, but PC users can still use a very viable tool.

I am not anti Avid, or anti-upgrading. I started with PT III, then upgraded to PT 24, then Mix, then MixPlus, then HD, then HD Accel, and now HDX. I look at a control surface much like an analog mixer, and I'm pretty frustrated that a $20k piece will suddenly be worth next to nothing.

- Kent Hooper

Last edited by khoop2112; 04-09-2013 at 08:44 PM.