View Single Post
Old 01-13-2023, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Modify the AAX SDK to help users with plugins that have numbered versions - Konta

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
How would this work though with versions that are incompatible and with different feature sets? Izotope RX has been really annoying about this but the plugins are not compatible between versions. So even if it would "migrate" the settings wouldn't be the same or it would change the mix. Not to mention the parameter naming and ranges.

K7 can import K6 but the plugin container itself has changed. I'd love to know how NI tackles this.

Great idea but I can't wrap my head around how it would realistically work. I guess for a template like you have it would be easier than an existing dynamic composition and mix? Since it would just be static settings to be imported and migrated.
I agree that Izotope make this implementation difficult. I have always thought that they should include the legacy algorithms in the updated versions and include a legacy algorithm option; one that would automatically activate when opening a session with legacy versions. For example, there is a track with RX Voice-Denoise version 7 on it, but the session is opened on a system with only RX v9 (not that I really use any RX plugins real-time in 99.999% of cases). The track would open with the Voice-Denoise v9 plugin taking the place of the v7 plugin on the track, but with the Legacy v7 algorithm activated so all the settings and sonics match. Extra work and coding on their part, but it just might make paying for upgrades a lot more appealing for many people. Just my 2¢.