View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Avid

Default Re: VENUE Link and MADI of limited value?

Hi Jasen,

Sorry for the frustration. Here are a few thoughts I had after reading through this thread.

First off, is the VENUE system connected to Stage Racks, or is it receiving MADI from another system? The reason I ask is that VENUE Link keys off of Stage inputs 1-48 corresponding to MADI channels 1-48 when using VENUE + HD MADI.

Also, does the system contain one or two stage racks?

The hardware config as described - specifically, using the expansion port on the HD peripheral to pass the second MADI port - is a bit unusual. This doesn't mean it won't work, just that we might be in uncharted territory. At minimum, only the last 16 channels of the second MADI interface would pass, which correspond to MADI Assignable 49-64 in the VENUE patchbay.

To troubleshoot this, it might be best to simply the system and then build up piece by piece. Something like this:
  1. Connect only a single HD MADI (both ports) to the first Core and Accel card
  2. Launch PT, delete all I/O paths and then recreate the paths using the Default button. This should create 64 I/O paths.
  3. Create a new session from VENUE. If the console is in stage mode you should see tracks created for all input ch's patched to stage inputs, as well as any assignable channels patched in the patchbay
  4. Assuming the previous steps worked, connect both ports of the second MADI interface to the next two Accel cards.
  5. In PT, delete I/O setup paths again and recreate. It should now show two MADI devices, each with two ports. This should create 128 I/O paths.
  6. Create a new session from VENUE. On the Options>System page make sure the "Stage Mode" is set for Inputs 1-48 and 49-96. You should see tracks created for all input ch's patched to stage inputs, as well as any assignable channels patched in the patchbay
  7. Once this all works, change the cabling back to using the HD I/O and expansion port. Repeat I/O setup steps and see what happens...
Let us know how it goes.

Sheldon