View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 06:30 PM

Default Re: HDX with Dante Via

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Man, you're talking about a lot of hardware capability there.

You basically want an all-in-one-do-everything-in-one-box unit. The laws of product marketing just don't work that way.

And to your point, You can get what you want with 3U of Focusrite:
Red 8Pre/16Line
HD32R
and D64R

That's 3U, costs about $500 less than the Antelope Galaxy 64. You can save more if you can find them on the refurb Focusrite Pro site.
The Galaxy 64 absolutely annihilates your suggested Focusrite setup in terms of functionality, though. It is a 128 channel HDX interface, 64 channel thunderbolt interface, 64 channel Dante interface, 64 channel madi interface, and has 64 channels of AD/DA to connect to a large format console.

...and you can use them all at the same time! There is a big ol' FPGA mixer with FX right in the middle of all that I/O, with full routing matrix that allows you to route any input to any output, including using the FPGA FX as hardware inserts on any DAW or even the analogue console, construct headphone mixes, do format conversion. It does it all. The Galaxy 64 is a 388 I/O box that allows you to use every single one of them at any given time.

Avid and DAD are doing exactly the same with their current devices. The MTRX Studio might only have 64 channels of digilink on it, but it is effectively a 154 I/O device. The addition of a full routing matrix inside the box makes it far more than even just a 154 I/O device because you can quickly and easily multi signals to go to various places.

The Focusrite boxes are just wasted I/O city by comparison.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.