View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Processor recommendations for new MacPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
We're finally upgrading our mid-2012 MacPros to new and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for the CPU? 12-core? 16-core? Is the 8-core enough?

We'd load them with minimum 48GB RAM and probably bump up the graphics to Radeon Pro W5700X with 16GB.

We will NOT be using Avid hardware in most of the machines but using Thunderbolt to Focusrite Dante. We do have two systems that will retain HDX-2 cards as we need 128-IO on both of those, but the rest can certainly run on the 32-IO limitation.

Thanks for the help. We want to move on these quickly before Apple turns everything into M1, knowing it's going to take Avid quite a while to catch-up.
Hello,

I had asked on another thread with no replies, was hoping you or someone could give some recommendations on the Radeon 5700 vs. the stock 5500.

I also asked this from Apple and Avid on a few occasions and couldn't get an answer and have researched countless forums as well to no avail. Was hoping someone here would have 1st hand experience?

About to buy a new 2019 Macpro 16 core and was only considering the stock Radeon W5500X, but one of the MAIN reasons I am upgrading is speed of rendering NR plugs, freezing tracks and making faster QuickTime ref for clients.
I heard that it's worth getting the +$400 W5700X 16G since it can help speed up making QuickTimes in Protools?

Is there much truth to this and if so, how tangible is the speed of offline QT bounce?

Would adding a much larger GPU that takes up 2 slots with bigger fans, etc, have noticeable heat and noise since it's a much larger card taking up an extra Pcie slot?

Thanks
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S

Last edited by SDDP; 08-02-2022 at 10:37 AM.