View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 09:45 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" finally enters the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatless View Post
I ordered an ultra, but now I’m seeing the leaked geekbench results. Multi core looks great, but in my experience single core is way more important for what we do. Do you guys think that the two physical cpu’s will give better “single core”performance with pro tools than a single CPU in real use? Or… will we get the same old spike in the middle of the cpu meter? My current windows machine gets basically the same geekbench single core score. It’s really great, but I want this new computer to be a beast and a step up in power with the added bonus of iMessage!! Not just more of the same while using less energy. On my i9 iMac a few plugins with oversampling will cause constant cpu errors. I really hope that won’t be the case!!!
Who knows how much of your 'spike' is actually multicore processing that has been distributed across the available cores, or even specific to Pro Tools. Benchmarks are fun, but using the system is really the only way you'll ever find out in real life circumstances.

I would be surprised if you didn't seen some pretty decent improvements to performance. Pro Tools uses single core processing for some stuff... but that by no means makes it a single core application.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.