View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Installer asking me to manually delete PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
At the risk of being OCD about terminology, you “uninstall” the program. Don’t ever just delete it! And yes, most of us on Windows got in the habit long ago of uninstalling the previous version first. It takes about 10 minutes.
Not here. I've been upgrading every version for the last 10 years. Have not had a problem at all doing it this way. Manually deleting and re-installing is a lazy approach in this day and age for the programmers as 99% of programs, heck even Kontakt and Native Instruments can run an upgrade vs having to uninstall and reinstall the program manually. This is really developmental laziness. What I think they are afraid of is the registry values not getting cleaned up properly as well as file location discovery to make sure it all goes back the way it came off. However, other companies train their people to understand and allow for this and to create an update routine which can take this into account.

Also, it's not 10 minutes, it's 20 because this most recent version and the prior version which came out a few weeks ago, require the manual uninstall.