View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Final thoughts requested on S1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by briaboy View Post
I'm thinking seriously about buying an S1, but I need a bit more confirmation that it's something more than just an alternative to using a keyboard and mouse to move faders and plugin controls. Recent articles and reviews (e.g. in Sound on Sound, etc.) are struggling to fully convince me otherwise...any thoughts? Thank you!
If you're not sure why you need an S1 why are you thinking about buying one? Who says you need one?

To answer your question: No, an S1 is nothing more than an alternative to using a mouse and keyboard to move faders and plugin controls. I own 3 S1s and a Dock because I came up working on consoles, and doing rough balances on a large session such as an orchestra or a live band with just a mouse is slow and cumbersome for me. Having 24 faders speeds up my workflow a lot and I'd be hesitant to work without it.

But I am a semi-old guy, and it seems to me most of the young engineers coming up in the DAW era do just fine with a mouse. More power to them, less equipment to purchase.

If you already have a good workflow with mouse and keyboard I think readjusting to using faders is a step backward and not something I would consider personally.
I don't think it will make your life easier or your mixes better. But that's just me.