View Single Post
Old 05-02-2022, 10:56 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
It's clear you'll have to stream in a lot more of the instruments. You'll probably have to lower the amount of the samples that you pre-buffer. So a lot really depends on how quickly and efficiently you can get your samples off whatever medium you have to store them. I'm very curious about how well this will work.
Indeed. I’ve taken a long hard look at the Mac Studio, mainly so I can get off the Intel boat and move on my 2019 Mac Pro while it still has some value. Also the single core performance with Apple Silicon is so much better on paper.

The bottleneck seems to be sample storage via Thunderbolt though. The Mac Pro still has a big advantage here with internal PCIe so I’m sticking with it for now.

I’m speculating wildly here but I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple Silicon Mac Pros don’t have PCIe slots, especially if future chips have more powerful GPUs and a lot more RAM. I’m making an uneducated guess that additional storage will be in the form of Apple’s own proprietary NVMe. If you do want PCIe expansion Apple will expect you to do it externally via Thunderbolt.