View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 01:32 AM

Default -Help- Pro Tools is recording late

hey everyone,

i have an odd situation that i need your help with. i found out, that my protools is recording late. i mainly track vocals in pro tools and always had the feeling that it's a little off, but never got around to really check. now i did, and the outcome is this: (all of the stuff written below you can also see in the attached screenshot)

first i created a click track and routed it to an internal pro tools bus. i recorded it with a buffer size set to 128 and then set to 1024. both times the recorded click was perfectly on the grid.

then i routed that same click track out of a line input of my apollo, which i connected to a line input of my apollo and recorded that. with a buffer size of 128 there was already a noticeable delay in the recording (it recorded around 240 samples late). i set the buffer size to 1024 and the outcome was even worse (around 1200 samples late).

this was all done with delay compensation enganged (although this also should make no difference because looking at the mixer there is a green zero on each channel, so no day comp needed.)

i also fiddled around with the internal delay compensation of the apollo, which was initially set to 'off'. putting it to 'short' or 'medium' made it even worse, as you can see in the attached screenshot.

i then did the same thing with ableton, recorded the internal ableton click there (also going out of apollo's line output and recording the line input). i did it with a 128 buffer and with a 1024 buffer, and both times it was perfectly on the grid. i put those tracks into the pt session for the screenshot, too.

so: what is the problem here? pt would have to behave just like ableton, right?
first off, the buffer size shouldn't make any difference to where pt is recording the audio to. pt has to take the buffer size into account, right? there are no other audio tracks in the whole session than these, there is no busses and no plugins. there were also no plugins in the apollo console open. the problem occurs everytime, a restart or anything like that doesn't change the behavior of pt.
i also tried all the above with low latency monitoring off and on, the outcome was the same.

this is driving me crazy, as there is nothing i can think of anymore to get rid of that problem.

do you guys maybe have an idea what it could be? i am thankful for every tip:)

-J-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-27 um 15.10.28.jpg (50.5 KB, 0 views)