View Single Post
Old 02-09-2023, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Carbon+Ferrofish level matching

Quote:
Originally Posted by scremedy View Post
Hello. Did you resolve this issue? I ask as I’m looking to expand my carbon and the Ferro fish seems like the best solution to get 16 I/O. I do notice they sell a version w +24 db option, which sounds like it would solve your issue.

My question to you is are you able to get 8 ch per adat port out of the Ferro fish or only 4 per port? Thanks
I have a ferrofish pulse 16, its great!. I dont have any leveling issues. With everything set to 0 on the FF, it matches the +4 settings on the carbon excatly. When I set up my rig, I sent a signal generator through it and all sends/returns were identical between the units.

The pulse is tricky because you actually have a LOT of flexibility with the routing, the limiting factor is actually the carbon.

Carbon has 2 adat in and out. Which supports a max of 16 channels at 44.1 and 48k, OR 8 channels at 96k+ over smux (2 adat channels paired)

The pulse actually supports 32 channels of adat across 4 banks. Only 16 of them can be routed to analog i/o at any given time. The pulse can do 16 channels of 96k+ adat by useing 2 banks of 8 adat on smux (all 4 adat banks).

If in the future, they unlock the capability to use adat on a carbon pre you could then pipe the other 8 channels of smux at 96k through that unit giving you 32 channels for 96k + into pro tools. (8 carbon, 8 carb pre, 16 ferrofish)

Personally I have 2 adat preamps that I plug into the extra adat in ports on the pulse and then i have 3 presets in the pulse to change the routing around for tracking when I want to use the preamps, and mixing where I use my outboard gear.

Hope this helps!