View Single Post
Old 11-07-2022, 01:59 AM

Default Re: NEW -> Pro Tools | Carbon Pre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I had to use Carbon to record one guitarist with 4 mics. Straight through, no backing tracks, dsp mode on for the channels. The talkback was terrible (noisy AF!), the delay was terrible (is there an echo in here?), mic gain was lacking (not even using ribbons! KM56 and KM84 mics), the stability was terrible. Forced a firmware upgrade hoping it'd help. It didn't.
That was last year. Swore never again.

True HDX and even native were/are much better.
Glad it works out for you but it was a garbage experience for me.
I'm not disputing that there are some serious and unresolved issues with sync on the Carbon and/or hybrid engine, the TB mic is a joke, and as for gain problems, I guess if you are used to 70-80 dB of gain from outboard pres, you will be disappointed. But I am interested in what the problems were in this session - in particular, where was the delay coming from? Any native guitar/amp sim or VI will have some delay with Carbon, as AVB is lousy for this compared with TB or good USB, but it sounds like you were doing a live recording of acoustic guitar or an amp - so was there delay monitoring in the headphones? That just shouldn't happen with AAX-DSP plugs on Carbon, not more than a couple of milliseconds.
I know you know your way around HDX and PT, but something weird was happening here. There's definitely some faffing about needed to make sure the right paths through the Carbon are going though the DSP, especially if you have Aux sends in the picture.

Dominic