View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 06:09 PM

Default Re: i9 10900K build... a little disappointing.

OP

I have a similar system - just an 8700K. Bit of a repost:

Below are the optimizations I find essential. I have not had any "out of CPU" errors or lock-ups with 2020.x. Might freeze my system here for a while.

1) Setting the processor affinity on MY system (see below) is critical. I currently use a setting of FFE for processor usage on my 6 core 8700K.

2) C-states switching and Turbo mode must be off in BIOS. I use a 4.8 GHz all core overclock with a -1 AVX offset. This is 24/7 stable with the cooling listed below. Note, I do not generally test stability with synthetic benchmarks - this is not real world testing. I set up a complex ProTools session and try to make it crash. It only takes a few tries to find the limit of your system.

3) Leave Hyperthreading On. With the Affinity switch, the extra (virtual) cores really improve performance in ProTools.

4) The way you setup your recording session can impact low latency performance. I try to avoid stacking VIs into Auxes with heavy effects. I 'think' this might allow ProTools to more easily parallelize the computations.

5) I always uninstall the Avidlink software and the Software Update App before the first run of ProTools. Maybe superstition. I also always use dual boot installs of Win. My ProTools partition never goes online except for monthly Win/Waves/NI updates.

With the above settings I can record 16 audio tracks, and 16 midi tracks with Abbey Road Drums, Kontakt Pianos, Kontakt Session Horns Pro, Kontakt Session Strings Pro, Massive, H EQ on each of 4 vocal tracks, H Delay (slap) on Vocal send; CLA Mixhub (lite) on each monitored channel, all at 24/96 for more than 3 hours continuous recording no pops, no clicks, no stops. Never a redline on CPU usage meters. All the monitoring and levels are handled in Protools. With 24/96 the 64 bit buffer gives 'unnoticeable' latency YMMV.

Hope this helps - YMMV.

ejinbc

Hardware
Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor; Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler; Asus PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard; Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory; Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive - x2 system/samples and tracking; Western Digital Red Pro 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive - x2 completed work and backup; Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 2 GB OC Edition Video Card; Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case; EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Power Supply; Motu 1248 on USB2