View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 11:34 AM

Question Satellite and Video LE Link. Will this work?

OK, let me get this straight in my poor old head. I can't seem to find the exact information I'm after. If I suggest a work flow, perhaps someone would be kind enough to let me know if I'm getting any of the details wrong?

Lets say I build the following Post facility:

An SFX Suite, Foley Suite, ADR Suite and a Dubbing Theatre each with: A PTHD system with Satellite link, Sync HD, PTLE micro system with Video Satellite LE and DeckLink HD Extreme. Each with a control surface but the Dubbing Theatre has a D-Control and a couple of 192 Digital interfaces. All HD systems and Decklink cards being fed video ref from the same facility black burst generator.

In each suite the PTHD systems are working independently, all of them in Administrator mode, controlling their respective PTLE systems providing sync'ed video playback. Each suite would have a dual output; analogue 5.1 output to the suite's monitors and AES/EBU 5.1 output routed to the 192 Digital interfaces in the Dubbing Theatre. When it comes time for final dubbing, each suite will switch their PTHD systems to Satellite mode with the Dubbing Theatre in Administrator mode, controlling the satellite PTHD systems in all the suites and it's own PTLE Video Satellite LE system. The D-Control (in the dubbing theatre) can be switched to control each of the PTHD satellite systems as required, assigning sends/effects, writing/editing automation, etc. Switching the D-Control back to the Dubbing Theatre PTHD system to balance the stems, setting global reverb and ultimately acting as a layback machine.

My questions are as follows:

1. Will this linked/independant setup actually work?

2. Will the D-Control be fully functional when operating a satellite system or will the SFX editor (for example) have to keep running through to the SFX suite, jump into Administrator mode (so he/she can see the video) to write automation or change the settings of a plugin and then switch back to Satellite mode and run back through to the dubbing theatre?

3. Can anyone see any potential workflow problems with a facility setup this way?

4. I can already see a bit of a problem with the global reverb. Lets say I have a TC6000 Reverb in the dubbing theatre. Am I correct in thinking that I could only send the stems to the reverb from the dubbing theatre PTHD system, not individual channels (with individual send levels) from any of the satellite systems? I suppose I could setup a patchbay, patch each suite into the TC6000 as required and record the reverb return into the dubbing theatre system. It would work but final dubbing workflow would be pants! For a better workflow each suite would have to have it's own TC6000 but that would put a serious dent in anyone's budget! Can anyone think of an elegant but more cost effective solution? If not, does anyone know of a retailer with a "buy 1 get 3 free" deal on TC6000s?

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread and for any comments or suggestions.

Cheers, Greg