View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Outboard Effects Via SPDIF, whats the deal?

Quote:
I disagree, many pro mix artists still favour outboard gear to internal, also staying in the box is too easy and i don't want to lose sight of what sound engineering is all about and how it's developed. It's equally an experience thing as well.

I'm just finding plugins to be such a rip off compared to say a lexicon Fx unit and i'd just like to try something new. However if latency cannot be combated by SPDIF on an LE setup then i thinks it gonna be little use due to the amount of time that will consumed printing all the tracks.

Cheers
Despite what others have said here, you are right to want to use external hardware with your setup. There is NO reverb plug-in in the world that can compete with a hardware unit, even the less expensive ones.

I run three external boxes, a Roland R800, a Lexicon PCM80 and a Yamaha SPX990. These boxes allow for editing, so if its only reverb or delays, I edit the boxes to perform in a way that is consistent with the way I want it to sound.

So if the predelay is too long because of latency, I shorten it until it sounds right. Same with the delays.

Now admittedly, there are some effects that require syncing, and if the outboard can't do it, I will go to a plug-in.

For things like harmony pitch shifting, you will have issues with latency, but I don't use those kinds of effects. The performer has to perform them.

So don't listen to the calls for getting rid of your hardware. Use your ears and you should be fine.