View Single Post
Old 01-31-2022, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Big Sur Update - Graphics lag and can't reorder tracks

I've been dealing with this since June I think? I can't find a solution to make Pro Tools work smoothly on my machines with Big Sur. It's just not useable!
Catalina is the only option since 2021.6 or so. Oddly enough, Big Sur was fine before that update! Avid support is aware, but they just closed the case I had open with them.

Not totally relevant, but I want to vent, and/or maybe someone has a solution? For some reason after going back down to Catalina, my 2020 imac started shutting down/rebooting randomly. I've spent several hours/days trying to clean install again and again, different RAM, and every other possible solution, but it keeps happening. I just bought a refurb as a replacement, migrated everything over (the easy way), and it's flawless. Apple won't help with the random shutdowns, even with applecare they're just telling me it's a software issue. But... It's a software issue that didn't migrate to the "new" computer!? I'm thinking that I'm going to return this perfectly working refurb and just give up on Apple. It's tough, because this refurb is working very well! But.... Apple's unwillingness to help is infuriating. Do they just expect me to throw this 8 month old machine in the landfill and give them another $3500 bucks for two year old tech?! I can't sell it to someone else like this!

I don't see things getting better with Apple as they focus more and more on non professional devices, and how horrible they're treating developers with major changes so frequently. Their own CPU's seem promising, but it's seeming like we won't have everything working on them for a couple more years. It might just be time to move on. I'm Starting to think the best option is switching to windows full time. I've been dabbling with it for the last couple of years. Right now I'm running Windows 11 with an i9 11900k and it's almost flawless. Almost, only because It's windows. That part is tough to accept, but every time I try to go back to mac, something like this happens. Windows NEVER crashes or throws up CPU errors. It sucks that there's no soundflow in windows (yet?), but I'm wondering if I can set up some similar scripts in Power Automate? One thing at a time though.

Last edited by thebeatless; 01-31-2022 at 07:00 PM.