View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 08:20 AM

Default Re: What would you replace an old MacPro with these days?

How many PCI-e cards can you get in a TB magma chassis? And can one channel of first gen TB cope with say the load of two HDX cards and a Blackmagic to output HD Video? Also now ProTools can use network raid storage, we really need two gigabit ethernet ports as well.

Basically you can't beat a full sized motherboard with user replaceable and upgradeable parts. It doesn't have to be noisy either.

A Hackintosh is the only real replacement for a MacPro at the moment, until Apple decide to continue supporting the people who got them through the hard times before phones and tablets.

AWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
Greetings all. Just putting feelers out as I ponder which route to take to replace my 2007 MacPro which Apple has deemed unworthy of Lion. Mind you, I'm actually quite happy with Snow Leopard, but I know how progress goes, and sooner or later something will force my hand (can you say "Pro Tools 11 requires Lion or higher"), and I'm trying to figure out what to buy next time. As it is, it seems a Mac Mini makes the most sense. Assuming Thunderbolt is going to be the connection of choice for the next round of interfaces, and since I have no need for PCI cards, a new MacPro seems like overkill these days. And of course, who knows what will change between now and the release of PT11. But in the current market, I'm wondering if anyone has any significant input either FOR or AGAINST the idea of going with a Mini over a new Pro machine.

Thanks and all that,
Eric

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors