View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 01:06 AM

Default Re: HEAT question--is it pre or post on each track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
Hope it's OK to post here. I didn't want the question to get lost in the giant HEAT thread at the top of this forum.

I saw Kenny Gioia raise this issue in the above thread, and didn't see it answered.

Since the HEAT effect is dependent on the amount of level hitting it, it seems like if it were a normal plug you'd spend some time bringing up the level coming into it so you'd be getting the effect you wanted. So is the HEAT processing taking place before or after other plugs you might have on each individual track?

And if a track is recorded softly, does that automatically mean it won't be affected as strongly as tracks with hotter levels? I suppose I'm guessing that it's pre- the other plugs, and I could always process a track with more gain in AudioSuite.

I get that it's a different processing philosophy going on here, that it's the cumulative effect that's important. But it would be nice to know. I didn't see any mention in the User Guide.

thanks

Hi,

Its post unless you select the pre button!

The only way to control the level into it is to leave it as post and use previous plugs to adjust signal level. in conjunction with the master control.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.