View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Presonus 4848, Mac Mini M1, and an upgrade path I can be happy with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
Thanks Ryan for this detailed information. I'd really like to know more about the quality of the A to D conversion in these interfaces.
Well, I may not be the best person for that because in the past decade or so I've found that the vast majority of converters have surpassed the point where they can be used towards professional results. Differences, sure, I guess, it seems like when you change systems some adjustments are in order, but I've never had a major problem making them...That said, when I had the Quantum up and running I didn't do any major band tracking with it (that was going to depend on aggregating multiple Quantums- which ultimately won't work for PT for me because of the 32i/o limit). My logic with the regular quantum was worse case I would consider a different Adat converter.

Quote:
I'm often bewildered at why ADAT remains such a staple in digital connections. I've always been fond of AES/EBU but, in some sense, who cares, if it sounds good, it is good.
Totally agree- I also think it's a bummer that MADI has the same issue with adat with the halving of channels for doubling of sample rates. At least with MADI you can make 32ch templates and simply ignore 33-64. It's not the end of the world, but it is annoying having to have different IO templates for 44.1/48 and 96k...

Quote:
What we all want is a computer that can handle native processing and tracking with low latency and great workflow. I think we're getting closer to that day.
To some extent, this will always be out of reach because with more powerful computers always come more power hungry plugins- but with the 5950x I feel that I have that more so than any system I've used, including UA, HDX and TDM. It's just the least amount of trade-offs. HDX has too much 'per plugin' latency and TDM was great when the plugins we're state of the art, but when the innovation shifted to the native side it fell behind (also a bit of an issue for HDX as well).

As mentioned, I feel that apple is close to crossing that same sort of line for most users. I was disappointed not to see M1X/M2 released at WWDC though, my biggest concern with apple for power users is they might ride a little too high and comfy on that 2T$ horse they're sitting on there.