View Single Post
Old 12-13-2022, 03:59 PM

Default The length of Thunderbolt 2/3 extension

Hi folks -

I have an Antelope Orion Synergy Core. I want to have the Orion in the room with me but connected to the computer in a machine closet. Seems like that’s not the intent of any of these machines. I’m wondering what others in a similar situation are doing for extending. I currently use a 15m Corning fiber optic cable to go from the closet to a Caldigit Thunderbolt 2 breakout box and from that to my monitor and some USB devices - and I can use the Orion over USB connected to a hub on that breakout box with no problem - it works very well with Pro Tools and Cubase - and the core audio drivers appear to be much more efficient than the Avid ones. But I’m assuming that the pass-through latency will be better using Thunderbolt - even Thunderbolt 2.

However, connecting by using a TB3 to 2 adapter and a 5-meter Corning fiber optic Thunderbolt cable doesn’t work. There is some communication, because the Orion control software switched to Oven from USB, but no audio passes and the hardware is often not acquired. While I’m ruling out the possibility of a bad cable, is anyone doing this kind of thing successfully?