View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Avid

Default Re: Beat Detective Click and Pop Assistance please!

Hi All,

I thought it might be time for the software engineer that developed Beat Detective to chime in.

Regarding "conformed regions ( in the case of multi tracked drums) have zero crossings at the region In/out point that are opposite..."

First off, I need to ask a stupid question. Are you sure that event detection has not detected any false triggers? I only ask because if there are additional erroneous triggers, you will hear artificial transients where an edit is created (crossfade or not) within what should be a sustained segment of audio.

Assuming false triggers are not the culprit....

It is likely a case where the audio within a region (after conform) is out of phase with its neighboring region. From my experience, this is only an issue with audio that has a strong harmonic structure, or fundamental tone (ringing kick drums, toms, pitched instruments, etc.). I have encountered this problem while time alligning some guitar tracks.

Given the current capabilities of Beat Detective, the only solution is to manually slip offending regions back into phase. I find the easiest way to do thins is to....

1) Be sure to have an edit group enabled so that all drums are edited together.
2) Find the track with the hottest signal where the click occurs. Remove any crossfade that might exist there.
3) trim the front of a region left to expose a stable portion of the waveform in front of a transient.
4) slip the region so that in becomes phase alligned with its neighbor (look for a repeating wave shape). Yes, this will have a minor affect on event timing.
5) Reapply a crossfade.

Sorry to not have a more automatic solution for you. Perhaps in a future Pro Tools release....

Mark Jeffery
Software Engineer
Digidesign