View Single Post
Old 12-05-2022, 07:27 PM

Default Re: No Input from AVID HD I/O

Quote:
I am thinking the problem must be in the DB25 cables?
It might be, but don't guess test. It might be the preamp is not outputting an analog signal, it might be any cable or patch panel in the signal path, it might be the analog input board in the HD IO is faulty, it might be... if you can't spot a problem quickly then simplify stuff as much as possible, and start at one end and follow the signal path to the other end.

Quote:
Have you checked that the DB-25 cables have correct pinouts. I don't care what it says on the cables, actually check with a multimeter/continuity tester. I have not attempted this yet due to a lack of knowledge on how to do so.
Every studio needs a multimeter. Just buy a basic one but make sure it has continuity beeper mode. Like this Fluke (a basic model from a high-end manufacture. Watch out for really cheap models there that are grey market imports from overseas... they might be fine, but you might not be able to find English language documentation, etc. )... https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-107-Cur.../dp/B00HEAMMIC

DB-25 connectors not surprisingly have pins numbered from 1 to 25, typically the numbers are printed into the plastic in small type right next to the pins. Hold the multimeter probes on the pins on each connector and make sure the matching pins and only the matching pins have continuity. The meter will beep in continuity mode when there is very low resistance (i.e a continuous circuit) between each lead.

Analog balanced audio DB-25 to DB-25 cables will just connect each pin to each pin, typically with no connection between pin 13. Make sure you are not using a digital cable by mistake which is very different. See https://tascam.com/downloads/tascam/...-25_Pinout.pdf. Be careful wether you are looking at the connector or illustrations of it from the front of back as the pin layout/numbers will reverse.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-05-2022 at 07:41 PM.