View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
Not to getting to personal preferences... But I think that CL 1 B can be also strerile and cold like you said, but also getting some brightness and soft (pastel) color when pushing a bit harder, without sounding agressive. I can add myself color and carachter if I need it. Thats what I like in it.

Well, there isn't ONE TDM compressor that I dont own. The ONLY one doing exactly what I tell it to do is the C1. ALL the others portray milliseconds on their attack and release but it has NOTHING to do with the actual values. C1 is THE most precise compressor on the planet. It does exactly what you ask of it. If it sounds sterile and harsh when you use it - then with all due ...... you are using it wrong or feeding it sterile material.

It is a dynamic tool. Nothing else, these days lots of producers expect a compressor to be a mix saver. It aint - all it does is to Automatically ride the gain according to a few parameter set by it's operator.

It took me about 8 years to fully comprehend(well in my dying bed I will probably still wander the myths of compression) the concept of a compressor - I had the C1 sitting in the Unused Plugs folder for 8 years. Now that I do understand what a compressor CAN do the C1 is the ONE I use ALL the time. Funny and paradox is that I always used to tell people that the C1 sounded like crap. Well it does not - and the only thing crappy about it was my prior opinion about it.

Today people buy into this RETRO MODELED - compressors like LA-2A and Fairchild and and and - I own many of those original pieces and I promise you this: The modeled pieces are sounding NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING like the originals.

The only reason they sell is that people have heard (And never actually used themselves) about the legendary Fairchild etc etc etc - and they think by buying the modeled plug their mix is going to be the greatest

The sooner they understand that a compressor is an Automated Audio Engineer the sooner they'll quit buying the hype and start listening to what compression really is.