View Single Post
Old 11-30-2021, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Freeze vs Commit

For me, "Freeze" = Temporary (during composing & tracking)
and "Commit", = Finalization (during and after mixing).

For example, I may temporarily freeze a set of instrument plugins after establishing some basic tracking accompaniment before recording audio tracks.
This is not always necessary on my setup, but sometimes really active cymbal parts in the drum plugin I use can cause CPU spikes when recording guitar through an amp/fx plugin at a lower buffer size.
Then if I want to modify a drum pattern, I can momentarily unfreeze the track.

I have a modest setup so it's just an efficiency method when needed.
It's mainly when the cymbals are really active or if I want to load more layers and free memory for more multi-sampled/processed instrument tracks while recording.

When mixing, I commit in sections/sub-groups as they are established to open up processing power for the mix & master bus.
Or commit lightly processed tracks for stem export so that a more professional mixer can import the tracks and have their way with them!

This is just my approach at a hobbyist level.
More professional producers can provide more ideas as to their own logistics & foresight.
And their machines likely have way more processing power so they can do as they please~ with such ease~ with no need to freeze***

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 12-08-2021 at 02:11 AM.