View Single Post
Old 07-31-2021, 09:31 AM

Default Re: SSL UC1 plugin controller

With PT, I think it's essential that UC1 is combined with a DAW controller of some kind, otherwise you have to have a mouse in one hand and your eyes on the screen most of the time; for transport, pan, sends and so on. With the Session set up like it should, I can turn on a nice screen saver, and mix away. I say it again, it's amazing how much "better" I listen when I don't have a screen.

I use the C insert slot for SSL plugins. Channelstrip on tracks, and Bus Compressor on sub mixes. Everything has SSL on the C slot. With only A-E showing, I have two slots free above and two below.

This takes me to the solo function on the UC1. I think it's one it's best features. OK I have solo and mute on the Command8, but having it right next to EQ and dynamics makes the workflow even smoother and faster.

BUT, the solo function takes me to quirks and things that could be better. The UC1 communicates with any SSL plugins you have active, on any DAW (!) you have running. It does not control anything else. So when I press solo on a track on UC1, it tells all other SSL plugins to stop the flow of audio thru them. It's completely independant of the solo/mute in PT. Therefore it's important to have SSL Channelstrip on every track, otherwise it won't work. Of course I also use solo/mute on the Command8 which sets PT solo/mutes, so with two independant solo systems, I often found in the beginning that solo/mute didn't work because I'd forgotten a setting on the "other" solo/mute system. It's barely a problem anymore. This is also one of the things that makes the UC1 not for everone, I think. It sort of demands that you play by it's rules. If you are creating tracks and re-routing all the time you'd be loosing the solo function pretty much. But it suits me fine, as I don't do much tracking and creative work anymore. I mostly enjoy digging up old material from my studio days or helping a friend now and then with a mix.

Other things that could be better; The SSL 360˚ application seems a little "unfinished". It displays all instances of SSL plugins - in the order they were created. So if I decide to create a new channelstrip in PT, it will be last in the 360, and last on the UC1, no matter it's placement in PT. You have to re-order it manually in 360 or close and reopen the session and it will sort correctly.

Because of the separate solo functionality, you must also remeber to solo-safe channelstrips in the 360 app, if their tracks are solo-safed in PT.

I mostly use the channel selector on UC1 because it's fast and easy. But I can also easily select what track is focused on UC1 from the Command8. Click "Insert", then C (but mostly it's already on C) then "Select" on the track I want; s, 2-3 clicks. BUT, and this is another quirk; only if there is a plugin window open in PT.

I shurely hope it's possible for SSL/Avid to get a better integration with PT. One can always hope. But don't get me wrong; this is the best investment I've done, ever!!!

The flow in working with this controller gives me more and more love for the plugins. The speed and flow has me discovering more of their versatility and power. It invites me to push, like I wouldn't do on screen, somehow. I'm rediscovering the filter section, which sounds great, and the dynamics section which is SO powerful. Again, pushing the limits, and it can take it. And my mixes sound better, I think.