View Single Post
Old 10-01-2021, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Some prepurchase questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
But :::: I think the more important question is why not just go from the Carbon direct into DP ???
Well, it would seem I would get less latency using the MOTU 1248 connected via thunderbolt, with the Carbon’s ADAT into the 1248. I could then use the Carbon’s pres with thunderbolts low latency. I just tried this with the Apogee Symphony Desktop over ADAT into the 1248, and although it worked, it just seemed like it was more trouble than it was worth. I’m just trying to prepare myself for any disappointing AVB performance while using other DAWs with the Carbon. I can’t find solid numbers for Carbon’s latency when in native or using other DAWs. I hear that it’s 8 – 12ms RTL with 32 buffer at 48k. You start chaining plugins together and the latency adds up quick.

But I have a backup plan. I can track all my guitars using my Helix, Headrush or Eleven Rack, and track all my drums and synths/instruments/samples with my Kronos, latency would be a non-issue. I can always swap out the external midi stuff with VIs during mixing. I’ll be able to test all this out once I receive my Carbon. It’s definitely on the slow boat from China, or should I say the slow truck from Fort Wayne, IN.