View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Can someone set me straight on AAX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Waves is hooped.
Waves Dilemma #1
They always charged a premium for TDM
TDM is history
Now there is only one format

Waves Dilemma #2
RTAS - Native customers who will never own a HDX system will need to get AAX plug-ins so they are going to pissed off if Waves bumps the price up for AAX

Waves will have to have 3 prices one for Native One for TDM (to keep WUP TDM customers happy) and One for AAX

Result pissed off Native customers.

Waves have no choice ( to keep the piece ) but to keep Native/AAX prices the same - but they won't.

Bottom line IMO Avid going to proprietary plug-in for made was a huge mistake they should have used AU or VST.
Plenty of Native Mercury users out there with WUP too.

My prediction. Since you will need to buy a HDX card to test the DSP versions of the AAX plugs Waves will attempt to continue the two tier pricing under the justification the AAX for HDX requires more resources to code. Whether they get the huge price premium will depend on how willing the HDX owners are to ante up for the DSP versions.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88