View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 09:52 PM

Default Re: bluetooth in ear with Apollo I/O simultaneous comparative listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I think the Airpods and especially Airpod Pros are some of the most impressive consumer electronics ever devised. Way to go Apple, how to build >$10B annual revenue out of damn earphones. So impressive.

The Airpod Pro sound good and better to me than Airpods. I used them a lot personally, daily long walks with the dog while listening to podcasts and lots of music. I have them in transparency mode while walking outside so I don't get run over. Not that I'm in an office much with Covid happening, but I love I can walk around wearing them in the office, in transparency mode and have quick conversations with people then flick them into isolation mode and be able to work without distraction. I use them with the Comply memory foam tips for a bit better hold and seal (less chance of falling out when walking). The transparency/isolation feature is what makes these so compelling for me. But enabling transparency does harms the lower-frequency performance.

The Airpod Pro sound better to me that the Airpod, but if I was to nitpick maybe not very flat and a little muffled. Still I could not do without them. And given how much Airpods are used by people I'd hope they are a used for reviewing any mix...

If you like the sounds of these in-ear earbuds, I would encourage you to try a pair of high-end (wired) IEMs like the Eytomic Research ER4SR. They just sound *incredible*, are deep insertion (for excellent bass response) but some folks find that uncomfortable. I've got multiple pairs of Eytomic Research IEMs, Sure IEMs and Airpods. All are nice, but the ones I like the most are Eytomic Research high-end models when driven by a Grace m920 with cross-feed... that sounds just magical. Better than my Sennheiser HD650s, but if I'm at my desk I'll often switch between the HD650s and Eytomic Research IEMs depending on what I'm doing. I really wish Apple had cross-feed support in the AirPods/AirPod Pro.
Thank you Darryl!