View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 08:06 PM

Default Re: bluetooth in ear with Apollo I/O simultaneous comparative listening.

I don't have any of the latest Etymotic, I have an older pair of ER-4S (my favorites), a pair or ER-4SR and some lower-end ones that don't have clear model numbers labeled on them. I had the earlier high-end model before the ER-4S, they were fantastic as well and IIRC they had a problem and Etymotic replaced them with the ER-4S. The issue with the ER-4 series is how microphonic the cable is, it's worse on the ER-4S. If it rubs on your clothing you can hear it... they provide a clip to help stop that, but it's easy to have that fall off and lose it (they sell spares but what a PITA). The lower-end and newer ones have softer mode flexible cabling that avoid the microphonics. I use all these with the Etymotic triple flange silicone ear pieces, they seal fantastic in my ears.

I have Shure 425s, they sound good but find that are much more of a pain to futz around putting them on that the Etymotic, how that over-ear piece fits etc. I do want to try listening to some of the high-end multi-driver Shure just to hear what they sound like. And now Etymotic has multi-driver models as well.

I was looking at Sennheiser HD800s since I love the HD650 so much, but for all that $$$ just did not make sense when the ER-4S and HD650s are so damn good.

We are spoilt with the technology we have today, such incredible sound quality.