View Single Post
Old 08-30-2021, 09:42 PM

Default Re: MIDI in 2021 and BEYOND

I also really enjoy Pro Tools MIDI. I agree that everyone who complains about the MIDI in Pro Tools just hasn't taken the time to really learn it.

Here is my list of things I really want to see improved:

1. MIDI editing has got really slow. I'm on a Mac Pro 7,1 (16 core, 170 GB RAM) and many times when I am adjusting velocities or mod wheel automation, it hangs for seconds which is really surprising. It used to be very quick and fast on editing. But ever since they optimized the low latency modes with the audio engine, MIDI has all of sudden become very slow with editing.

2. New bug now exists with rendering the sustain pedal to note lengths on instrument tracks. I now constantly get assertion errors from trying to do this. If I move the midi to a MIDI track and do the same command, it doesn't have the problem.

3. I would LOVE to have an option to turn off auditioning MIDI notes when lassoing the notes. I am aware that you can turn of MIDI auditioning in the tool bar, but I wish I could just leave it on and be able to make selections without it blowing out my speakers.

4. MIDI real time properties for transpose should respond differently when you are not "Displaying Events as Modified by Real-Time Properties". For example, if you have the preference unchecked and you transpose the clip or track using real time properties, when you click on the notes, it should audition the transposed note pitch, not the displayed note pitch.

5. I would LOVE to see playlist view finally come to MIDI.

6. I would love to see the ability to lock MIDI notes in the MIDI editor for certain tracks so that you can view other tracks underneath the one you are editing, but when you make selections and edits, it only edits the tracks you want to edit and ignores the locked tracks.

7. This would be a ton of work, but I'd love to see the Workspace views be dockable to the Edit Window. Possibly as a secondary window by the clips bin or Tracks List (kind of like how we have Universe and Clips Effects sharing the top). Then the addition of being able to easily load MIDI instruments and MIDI Loops. Basically ripping off Logics ease of use with loading instruments and loops.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio