View Single Post
Old 09-08-2022, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Interfaces considered a "step up" from the Avid I|O?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
MTRX options start at $5k, which isn't making sense at the moment. I can upgrade the current Avid I|O via the Black Lion mods for $2K. I'm not seeing evidence that the MTRX would sound better, though some have called the Black Lion the "best upgrade they've ever made" in their studio. And the current interface has the other digital options for which I'm currently configured.

I think I'll need to check the MTRX off the list, but I'm not convinced that the Black Lion mod is the winner either.

So, the Apogee is still in play. And I like what I'd heard from a friend's Antelope, but those are so problematic for PT (another story) that I don't want to open that box.

If what I ultimately want are a couple of improved inputs for main mics and guitar, maybe I simply look at a great 4-channel A/D and feed it into the current Avid I|O digitally...
Black Lion's marketing of getting endorsers to say their stuff is great seems to work for them. I assume many of those are paid endorsements. I've *not* heard their HD mods, none of their other mods every impressed me. Certainly not vs. upgrading to a better interface. Sorry, I'm a cynic about Black Lion.

There are just so many interfaces out there. And while I can be a shiny toy addict as much as anybody, I probably would want to spend money on preamps, microphones, better monitors, etc.

If you are going to switch interfaces I personally would consider all non-DigiLink options, DigiLink is just old, and Avid strains to support it at times. Maybe get rid of HD Native, the HD I/O(s?) and even sell the Ultimate subscription and lower costs, putting that saving into a new interface? But if it's audio quality that is the focus then maybe back to the preamps and outboard gear? And if you do want a new interface can you borrow/trial one from a dealer to see if it sounds better for your use?