View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 04:05 PM

Default Re: MBox 2 & its mic pre's

I've recorded a great soprano female singer with a C1000 and then with a Rode NT1 - so from small to large diaphram mics and there was little difference.

I think that to get noticeable improvement you have to spend bigger bucks all round - top mic, top preamp, top interface.....

If you've got a reasonable condenser mic and an Mbox 2, record at 24bit, 48khz then you should be able to get some great results for a DIY album.

I'd think more about what Rtas compressor / Eq and reverb I was using and also what mastering tools than I would about getting different gear to wht you've already got.

If you really are looking for improved quality then you'll need to go up to 96khz with an interface anyway.

The best all round vocal mic that I've come across at the lower end is the Audio Technica AT4030.

Try the Massey CT4 compressor (demo), Redland Reverb (demo) and Vintage warmer and/or Ozone 4 (demos) on your songs and see what that does for you.
Saying that, the T-Racks 3 compressors are brilliant for the price if you can't go to Waves, UAD or Bombfactory compressors.....