View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Wave Format Extensible file format?

Hey,

I've been messing with interleave multi-channel wav files for a video game client quite a bit over the past few months. what I've learned:

1. SoundTrack Pro appears to make an extensbile wav format file. I don't know this for fact but the following results tell me so. A. when you analyze a standard .wav file in QT pro it says it is 6 channels. When you look at a file made by ST pro is says 5.1 (with the layout order) B. The PS3 engine and did not like the SD pro files I had created, and it doesn't like extensible wavs. C. When the ST Pro files were analyzed on the PC in a little Utilty app it saw them as extensible wav. D. Protools will not import these files, nor will any other mac app w/o having to convert them.

2.Be careful that the process you are doing is truly changing the track layout - vs - just renaming the channels. I've found this to be the case with a few apps I've used. From what I can tell an interleave file does not retain the channel information in-bedded in it. so if an app works in SMPTE order by default it will open a file that was output in PT in Film order (LCRLsRsLfe) and tell you that is is in SMPTE order (LRCLfeLsRs) when it really is not.

3.There is a cool app I just found called Wave Edit - although it does not make the extensible wav files it is a very powerful app/utility. Including the ability to easily change channel layout with in the file quickly and easily.

-e