View Single Post
Old 09-15-2022, 03:02 PM

Default Re: What type of performance should I expect from my Threadripper? (9093 CPU errors)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Does it work at buffer 64? I have no Threadripper experience, but FWIW my i9-11900K rig can record 16 tracks at once with plugs for hours no errors @ at buffer 64. I'm assuming you've done:
1) all AVID optimizations
2) all AVID suggested troubleshooting steps
3) the AVID suggested affinity switch

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ssage/en336705

It seems you've done a lot already, but for now, check all 3 above again. Skip any, and it just might come back to bite ya...
Good point, I really should take a step back (one more time) and be meticulous for the proven things. These optimizations are generally the first things I've been doing. Some items I believe AVID's recommendations are not right anymore. For example, setting system settings for 'background processes' I don't think is the best. And Turbo Boost just should be turned off for Threadrippers. But I only arrived at these conclusions with actual testing. Thank you for your data point, it is helpful and good to have another comparison. Once I get back from vacation, I am going to do a fresh disk image one more time with a fresh kit of RAM and be a little more detailed and explicit on which steps I take and in which order. The best optimizations should happen first, and the winners should be kept, before proceeding on to the more uncertain tweaks. The name of the game is real data, precise record keeping, proper order of events, and minimizing changing variables when progressing to the next round. It's like a little science experience, which is a fun and mind-expanding journey.