View Single Post
Old 02-05-2003, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Sonic No Noise for Pro Tools

way better than the waves restoration plugins...much more transparent...

Although, I don't really like how it interfaces with PT (as of yet anyway...it's growing on me as i get used to it). I'd been using NoNoise in Sonic Studio HD for about two years and loved it. When the studio I work for switched over to PT for editing I was nervous because there wasn't any good noise removal software for PT available. When Sonic NoNoise came out I think I was pretty much the first person to buy it! LOL

Anyway, it seems to only work within your selection. NoNoise in Sonic usually looked at the audio around the area you selected, and then tried to figure out what the audio would have done if there were no click in the selected area. I've found that if I select too small a selection in PT it won't work well and if i select too large a selection it won't work well. This makes me think that Sonic for PT only looks at the selected area and not the contiguous audio to the selection as well. In SonicStudio you never had to worry about this..you just selected an area and it would usually look and fix the clicks inside the selection and sometime just outside the selected area too (if it found any).

After you hit process in PT it then cuts the selection and turns it into its own region. a lot of the time I can hear a click when it passes the edit points of this new region so then manually crossfading is needed.

The other day it freaked out on me too...I was using manual declicker...and after a while, anything I would decrackle would just be all fullscale noise on the positive slope (no negitive slope). So I restarted PT and it was back to normal.

Honestly, I use NoNoise just about everyday and frequently I'm using it all day long. I've tried Waves, and Arboretum and a few others...but none are as transparent and powerful as NoNoise. Period! Once you learn how to use it and how to correctly set all the parameters, there is almost nothing out there that can compare. Actually, I've heard good things about Cedar too, but haven't had the chance to check them out yet. From what I've heard they are the only ones that are on par with Sonic's NoNoise. Unfortunately I believe they only work with Sadie and there is no PT plugin available.

Hope this helps.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page